Friday, January 5, 2018

Waiting for a Mother

I watched her. There is without a doubt that she is the most beautiful person in the world. I wasn’t one for pick up lines, but looks like God lost one of his angels. She was dressed in a white gown, it was a simple one, not like those exquisite ones, just a simple one, and you know what, simple is good.

She looked even beautiful when she was nervous. She was the love of my life and we were getting married. A little perspiration on her forehead, the biting of her lip and those deep furrows. “Where is she?” My angel asked with a tinge of anger in her voice.

“I don’t know sis.” Her sister replied.

I looked around. It would be stupid to say that I was not nervous or angry. How can her mother do this on our wedding day? The clock on my watch ticked closer to 8:30. People have been sitting for the last hour. Waiting. Waiting for the wedding to start. We can’t start the wedding march without her mother.

“How can she do this to me! Call her!” My angel yelped out.

“I tried”, the sister waved the phone in the air, “She’s not picking up the call. She was with me in the church, I don’t know why she would do this.”

My angel tried to maintain her composure. People were looking, people were waiting.

“She’ll be here”, I tried to interject into the sister-sister conversation.

“Really, really! Where is she? How can she do this me TODAY!”

I inch closer and take her hand in mind and then I just squeeze lightly. She squeezes back.

Then, we just wait.

“She’ll be here. She’ll be here. She won’t miss your day. Don’t worry about the people, they can wait.” I whisper in her ear.

She nods. A grim kind of nod.

We waited. My angel’s mother never did come for our wedding reception.

0 comments:

Post a Comment